A personal injury lawyer’s worst nightmare is representing a client injured in a car accident only to learn that the defendant motorist has inadequate or no liability insurance. Regrettably, motorists without insurance are rarely able to compensate victims financially. Despite the fact that a lawyer for a vehicle accident victim can win a civil judgement for all of the damages, such judgement is only as good as the defendant’s ability to pay.
Buying uninsured motorist coverage is the greatest method to guard against this kind of risk. Any time a person sustains injuries in a car crash where the at-fault driver lacks enough liability insurance, the injured party can turn to their own uninsured motorist (UM) policy for compensation. In such a case, the injured party’s own insurance would be responsible for covering the costs of any damages incurred as a result of the defendant driver’s actions, up to the policy’s UM limits. Discuss your situation with a motorcycle accident lawyer.
Think about this fictitious situation: Victor has the green light to go at a crossroads when Dan recklessly drives through a red light and collides with the side of Victor’s vehicle.
Accident victim Victor sustains $50,000 in medical expenses and $25,000 in lost pay due to time away from work. Further, Victor experiences pain and discomfort for weeks after the event while he recovers from his injuries.
After the collision Victor finds out that Dan is not insured since he has fallen behind on his payments. Dan is unemployed and has no assets, both of which Victor learns about. The outlook is not good. Suddenly Victor realises he has unintentional motorist coverage through his auto insurance.
Several other facts concerning UM insurance are as follows:
- Your liability insurance limits dictate the maximum amount of uninsured motorist coverage your auto insurer can issue you.
- Whether you’re a passenger a driver a pedestrian or even at home your UM coverage may kick in to help pay for your medical bills and other damages.
- When the at-fault motorist lacks inadequate insurance to pay your damages, your UM policy kicks in. Underinsured motorist coverage is what you need in that case.
- In the event of an accident with an uninsured motorist, you may be covered by the insurance of a family member who shares your household.
- The monthly premium for UM protection is typically less than ten dollars.